The Legacy Read program is designed to promote literacy across the Lovejoy ISD District.
The three goals of this program are to:
- Highlight the joy and importance of lifelong learning through reading
- Foster community connections through literary endeavors
- Leverage technology resources to sustain learning from a shared reading
2017 Theme: Making a Difference Through Compassion /
Walk a Mile in My Shoes
Students and families are encouraged to read the book most appropriate for their age and interests throughout the months of April and May.
Kick off videos: Charter for Compassion and Children's Charter for Compassion
Each campus created a Charter for Compassion or Children's Charter for Compassion video to kick off the Legacy Read theme of Making a Difference Through Compassion. Each one is a special telling of what compassion means and what it means to be a compassionate person.
Activities / Events:
- Slow chat on Twitter (Secondary & Adults), Social Media posts with inspirational quotes from book
- Walk A Mile (Elementary)
- Sock Drive
- Library Displays
Culminating Video/ Event
- District-wide video created from each campus video
- Secondary - Open Mic Night -- Students read passages from published works or read their own work that meet the theme
Lovejoy High School - Charter for Compassion
Willow Springs Middle - Charter for Compassion
Hart Elementary - Children's Charter for Compassion
Lovejoy Elementary - Children's Charter for Compassion
Puster Elementary - Children's Charter for Compassion
Sloan Creek Intermediate - Children's Charter for Compassion