A NOTE FROM TRANSPORTATION
School transportation is a privilege and bus safety regulations must be followed. School principals are responsible for the student while on the bus and reserve the right to resolve discipline problems that occur between home and the school. Bus drivers are charged with maintaining proper student conduct which may include assigning individual seats. Students are expected to conduct themselves on buses in the same manner as in the classroom.
With the continued growth of our community, bus ridership has also grown. The majority of our afternoon routes are at or near bus capacity. Therefore, transportation will not be able to accommodate students riding the bus home with other students when that student is not assigned to the bus route. This would include sending your child home on another student’s bus for play dates, sleep over’s, group projects, sports practices, etc.
For safety reasons, parents and other adults will not be allowed to board the bus. If you have discipline or scheduling concerns, please do not attempt to discuss these during the loading or off‐ loading process as it distracts the driver’s attention from the students. For questions concerning school bus transportation, please contact the Transportation Department at 469-742-8009.
LOADING THE BUS
- Students should be at the bus stop five (5) minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Students are to wait for the bus at the assigned stop in an orderly manner until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Students should wait for the bus in a single line, 10 feet back from the roadway.
RIDING ON THE BUS
- Students must go to a seat and be seated immediately upon boarding. The bus will not move until all students are seated.
- If the bus is equipped with seat belts, students are required to wear them at all times while seated.
- Students will cooperate with the bus driver at all times.
- Students need to keep talking and noise to a low level so the driver can hear any dispatcher radio calls.
- The driver may assign seats.
- Students will remain seated, facing forward in the seat, while the bus is in motion: Often referred to as bottom to bottom/ back to back. Feet are to remain out of aisle.
- Students may not change seats after boarding without driver's approval.
- Students should not have any part of their body out of the window. They must keep arms, hands, legs and head inside the bus at all times.
- Students shall not eat, drink, or litter on the school bus. Only water is allowed.
- Students will not write on, disfigure or damage any part of the bus. Vandalism costs will be charged to the person responsible for damages.
- Scuffling, fighting and the use of obscene, vulgar or profane language and gestures are not allowed.
- Do not throw objects inside or out of the bus.
- The use of any type of tobacco, alcohol or drug products on the bus is forbidden by State Law.
- Students will keep books, packages, backpacks, coats and legs out of the aisle.
- The emergency doors and exit window controls should be used only during drills or actual emergencies.
UNLOADING FROM THE BUS
- All students will remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- All students will move away from the bus immediately upon leaving the bus. If you must cross the street or road after getting off the bus, he/she should walk to the front of bus, then stop and look to the driver for a signal to cross.
- Should a student drop an article near or under the bus, they must not try to retrieve it. The student should go to the door of the bus and ask the driver for help.
- Students should never cross the road behind the bus.
K THROUGH 2ND GRADE
The safety of our students will always be first. To protect our students the transportation policy for 2nd graders and below is as follows. It is the parent’s responsibility to make sure the students get to and from the students designated bus stop. Drivers will hold these students on the bus until an authorized adult is present to prevent them from getting lost on the way home. If a parent wishes their student to get off the bus without an adult present, they would need to contact the Transportation office to begin the process for review of this waiver. If an authorized adult is not at the bus stop, the student will be returned to school for parent pick up. You may also have an older sibling walk home with the student.