What is the Problem Solving Team:
Each campus will have a Problem Solving Team (PST). The team is a student and staff assistance process. The purpose of the team is to provide a knowledgeable group of professionals to consider the special needs of any student on the campus who may be in need of special assistance. This may include tutorial, extra help, Title I services, crisis intervention, dyslexia services, gifted and talented services, services for students with limited English proficiency, special education, and other special services of either a temporary or permanent nature.
Why the PST Process to Provide Instructional Intervention Strategies?
- The Texas Education Code (TEC 29.082) requires compensatory for accelerated programs for students who are not performing well and considered at risk.
- The Texas Administrative Code (19 TAC 89.1011) states that students experiencing difficulty in the regular classroom should be considered for all support services available to all students (tutorials, remedial, compensatory, and other services).
- Many of the Intervention Strategies are effective teaching and behavior management strategies that benefit all students.
- Interventions often lead to demonstrating application, therefore assessing at a higher level of understanding.
- Interventions are one of the “supplementary aids and services” which allow all students to be educated in the general education classroom.
When to Intervene? A need to intervene is indicated when:
- Frustration and anxiety are interfering with learning and assimilation of ideas.
- A student is unable to demonstrate his complete knowledge because of the format of modality of the assignment.
- A student’s basic reading, writing, and spelling skills are not automatic enough to be smoothly integrated with higher order thinking and organizational skills.
- The readability level of the material exceeds the reading level of the student although he can readily understand the concepts.
- The student's behavior is impeding his/her learning or the learning of others.